Monday, September 21, 2009

Aspen Arrival Gone Macho

This flight was off to a bad start before the wheels even left the ground... Its always easy to say something like this would never happen to you, but I have read many accident reports that are similar to this one in many ways. This leads me to believe that this situation is harder to overcome then it may seem. The first thing I noticed was the casual nature about the flight; the passengers didn't show up on time, and then made the flight even later because they were taking in the parking lot? It would make more sense if they were going on a scenic ride a in little piston plane. I think the pilot and/or dispatcher should have been much more professional, and strict at that point. The passengers should have been notified ahead of time about the seriousness of getting the plane off the ground in time.
Bringing a passenger into the cockpit was another big mistake. Im sure this only added to an already stressful situation. Its hard to tell from the article, but a macho pilot may have their hazardous attitude amplified with a person in the cockpit who isn't a pilot.
All this added up to an unusual flight, but it could all have been saved had the pilot stuck to the instrunment regulations. Had they gone missed at mininmuns, like the planes in front of them, they could have safetly diverted to their alternate.
If I were in this situation, and if the status of my job relied on this one flight, Im not sure what I would do. Of course I would say I would just stick to the regulations, and I would have gone missed when the runway was not in sight. But, having the possibility of being fired over something like that would definitely add a lot of pressure, and I can understand why the pilots tried to go down a little farther and pop out. On the other hand, working for an outfit that will terminate a pilot for diverting in a situation like this doesn't sound like a productive, fun place to work.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I am glad that you understand the situation that the pilot was in. It is hard sometimes to do the right thing espeically, as you indicated, if your job is on the line.

    ReplyDelete