Thursday, September 10, 2009

Single Pilot IFR

If I were given the chance to fly SPIFR tomorrow I would have to gracious delcine. I am not instrument current, nor do I have the experience to take an IPC and feel confident right away. I think that if I were to spend some time brushing up on my instruments I would choose to go SPIFR, depending on the situation. I was lucky enough to get a little bit of actual experience during my IFR training. This was maybe only an hour total, but it was the ice breaker I needed to get the feeling of being in clouds, and overcome the fear from the unknown. So, given the proper conditions, I think I would actually enjoy SPIFR. At my current level I would not venture into any icing, or even potential icing conditions. But being in harmless clouds sounds pretty fun.
There were lots of good tips throughout the article. A small one I liked, and think would be useful, is to put your finger on your altitude indicator within 500 of your assigned altitude. I have blown through assigned altitude myself, especially when descending for thousands of feet.

I did all my instrument training in the archer, so I never had the luxury of instrument flying with autopilot. I think having autopilot would be a great tool to help manage the workload, espically for a newer instrunment pilot.

1 comment:

  1. Great! It sounds like you have thought a little bit about SPIFR. I agree it is important to know your limits and make sure you are both proficient and current. Putting your finger on the AI when you within 500 of your altitude anytime is helpful so you remember to level off both in VFR and IFR conditions.

    ReplyDelete